Reviews - NFL Sportsbooks - Wager On Football - NFL Football
1. The member of the receiving team must raise
one arm a full length above his head and wave it
from side to side while kick is in flight. (Failure
to give proper sign: receivers’ ball five
yards behind spot of signal.) Note: It is legal
for the receiver to shield his eyes from the sun
by raising one hand no higher than the helmet.
2. No opponent may interfere with the fair catcher,
the ball, or his path to the ball. Penalty: 15 yards
from spot of foul and fair catch is awarded.
3. A player who signals for a fair catch is not
required to catch the ball. However, if a player
signals for a fair catch, he may not block or initiate
contact with any player on the kicking team until
the ball touches a player. Penalty: snap 15 yards.
4. If ball hits ground or is touched by member
of kicking team in flight, fair catch signal is
off and all rules for a kicked ball apply.
5. Any undue advance by a fair catch receiver is
delay of game. No specific distance is specified
for undue advance as ball is dead at spot of catch.
If player comes to a reasonable stop, no penalty.
For penalty, five yards.
6. If time expires while ball is in play and a
fair catch is awarded, receiving team may choose
to extend the period with one fair catch kick down.
However, placekicker may not use tee.