Summary of Penalties
1. Awarded to offensive team on all defensive fouls
with these exceptions:
(c) Delay of game.
(d) Illegal substitution.
(e) Excessive time out(s).
(f) Incidental grasp of facemask.
(g) Neutral zone infraction.
(h) Running into the kicker.
(i) More than 11 players on the field at the snap.
1. Defensive holding or illegal use of hands (automatic
2. Delay of game on offense or defense.
3. Delay of kickoff.
5. Excessive time out(s).
6. False start.
7. Illegal formation.
8. Illegal shift.
9. Illegal motion.
10. Illegal substitution.
11. First onside kickoff out of bounds between
goal lines and untouched or last
touched by kicker.
12. Invalid fair catch signal.
13. More than 11 players on the field at snap for
14. Less than seven men on offensive line at snap.
16. Failure to pause one second after shift or
17. Running into kicker.
18. More than one man in motion at snap.
19. Grasping facemask of the ball carrier or quarterback.
20. Player out of bounds at snap.
21. Ineligible member(s) of kicking team going
beyond line of scrimmage before ball is kicked.
22. Illegal return.
23. Failure to report change of eligibility.
24. Neutral zone infraction.
25. Loss of team time out(s) or five-yard penalty
on the defense for excessive crowd noise.
26. Ineligible player downfield during passing
27. Second forward pass behind the line.
28. Forward pass is first touched by eligible receiver
who has gone out of bounds and returned.
29. Forward pass touches or is caught by an ineligible
receiver on or behind line.
30. Forward pass thrown from behind line of scrimmage
after ball once crossed the line.
31. Kicking team player voluntarily out of bounds
during a punt.
32. Twelve (12) men in the huddle.
1. Offensive pass interference.
2. Holding, illegal use of hands, arms, or body
3. Tripping by a member of either team.
4. Helping the runner.
5. Deliberately batting or punching a loose ball.
6. Deliberately kicking a loose ball.
7. Illegal block above the waist.
1. Chop block.
2. Clipping below the waist.
3. Fair catch interference.
4. Illegal crackback block by offense.
5. Piling on.
6. Roughing the kicker.
7. Roughing the passer.
8. Twisting, turning, or pulling an opponent by
9. Unnecessary roughness.
10. Unsportsmanlike conduct.
11. Delay of game at start of either half.
12. Illegal low block.
13. A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear,
or ram an opponent.
14. Any player who uses the top of his helmet unnecessarily.
15. A punter, placekicker, or holder who simulates
being roughed by a defensive player.
18. Any player who removes his helmet after a play
while on the field.
Five Yards and Loss of Down (Combination
1. Forward pass thrown from beyond line of scrimmage.
10 Yards and Loss of Down (Combination
1. Intentional grounding of forward pass (safety
if passer is in own end zone). If foul occurs more
than 10 yards behind line, play results in loss
of down at spot of foul.
15 Yards and Loss of Coin Toss Option
1. Team’s late arrival on the field prior
to scheduled kickoff.
2. Captains not appearing for coin toss.
15 Yards (and disqualification if flagrant)
1. Striking opponent with fist.
2. Kicking or kneeing opponent.
3. Striking opponent on head or neck with forearm,
elbow, or hands whether or not the initial contact
is made below the neck area.
4. Roughing kicker.
5. Roughing passer.
6. Malicious unnecessary roughness.
7. Unsportsmanlike conduct.
8. Palpably unfair act. (Distance penalty determined
by the Referee after consultation with other officials.)
15 Yards and Automatic Disqualification
1. Using a helmet (not worn) as a weapon.
2. Striking or purposely shoving a game official.
Suspension From Game For One Down
1. Illegal equipment. (Player may return after
one down when legally equipped.)
Touchdown Awarded (Palpably Unfair Act)
1. When Referee determines a palpably unfair act
deprived a team of a touchdown. (Example: Player
comes off bench and tackles runner apparently en
route to touchdown.)
Reviews - Click Here
Back to Top |
NFL Football Betting | Back
to NFL Digest | NFL