Reviews - NFL Sportsbooks - Wager On Football - NFL Football
1. The kickoff shall be from the kicking team’s
30-yard line at the start of each half and after
a field goal and try. A kickoff is one type of free
2. A one-inch tee may be used (no tee permitted
for field goal, safety kick, or try attempt) on
a kickoff. The ball is put in play by a placekick.
3. A kickoff may not score a field goal.
4. A kickoff is illegal unless it travels 10 yards
OR is touched by the receiving team. Once the ball
is touched by the receiving team or has gone 10
yards, it is a free ball. Receivers may recover
and advance. Kicking team may recover but NOT advance
UNLESS receiver had possession and lost the ball.
5. When a kickoff goes out of bounds between the
goal lines without being touched by the receiving
team, the ball belongs to the receivers 30 yards
from the spot of the kick or at the out-of-bounds
spot unless the ball went out-of-bounds the first
time an onside kick was attempted. In this case,
the kicking team is penalized five yards and the
ball must be kicked again.
6. When a kickoff goes out of bounds between the
goal lines and is touched last by receiving team,
it is receiver’s ball at out-of-bounds spot.
7. If the kicking team either illegally kicks off
out of bounds or is guilty of a short free kick
on two or more consecutive onside kicks, receivers
may take possession of the ball at the dead ball
spot, out-of-bounds spot, or spot of illegal touch.